Rules, Regulations, & Information
Basic Entry and Site Information
- Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. EST Friday, March 29, 2019. ONLINE ONLY entry fee for this competition is $350.00. Only 33 teams will be accepted into the competition, so please do not hesitate to register ONLINE ONLY below.
- Teams will be assigned a cook site of approximately 12’ x 45’.
- All tow vehicles and personal cars must be moved to a designated parking lot by 3:00 p.m. Friday, October 18, 2019.
- Water hook-up and electricity will be available at each cook site (50, 30, and 20-amp receptacles).
- Teams will be able to register and set up starting at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, October 18, 2019.
i. Early check-in will be available starting at 12 p.m. Wednesday, October 16, 2019.
- Each team will be required to have a Cook Team Leader present at the Cooks’ Meeting that will be held at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, October 18, 2019.
- Each team must supply its own cooking equipment including, but not limited to: grills, ingredients, water hoses, utensils, tents, tables, chairs, wood gas, charcoal, and electrical cords.
- Teams are encouraged to decorate the cooking sites with streamers, banners, flags, and trophies to make the event more festive.
i. A Showmanship Award for $1,000 will be awarded to the team demonstrating the most creative and festive cook site.
1. Judging for the Showmanship award will be conducted by local designers.
ii. The winner will be announced during the Awards Ceremony on the Main Stage in the RV Park on Saturday, October 19, 2019 starting at approximately 6:00 p.m.
- Teams are required to possess a two-way 10 BC fire extinguisher and to comply with the rules of the fire marshal.
- Please note all South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) rules and regulations will be followed. Unsafe practices will result in disqualification.
- All tents and canopies must be weighted down at each leg. Cooking teams are asked to leave their sites intact until 3:00 p.m. Saturday, October 20, 2019 to keep the grounds attractive.
- All cookers and other equipment must be removed from the premises by 12:00 noon on Sunday, October 20, 2019.
- Teams must clean-up their site before leaving.
- Rhythm & Q’s will provide 40 pounds of pre-cut wings, one case of 8 Boston butts (bone-in), and 6 racks of spare ribs to each team.
- Teams that do not cook and serve all meat provided to you by Rhythm & Q’s are subject to disqualification from the event.
i. All meat will be served to the public. Failure to comply may result in disqualification.
- Undercooked food will result in disqualification.
- Wings, ribs, and butts will be delivered at approximately 1:00 p.m. on Friday, October 18, 2019.
i. Turn-in time for chicken wings will be at 5:30 p.m., Friday, October 18, 2019 at The ROB (245 S. Church Street) for the Wing Competition.
ii. Friday night competition will be judged by local public officials and first responders.
iii. Teams must be at their sites and be prepared to serve the chicken wings to the public between 6:00 p.m. through 9:00 p.m. on Friday, October 18, 2019.
iv. Serving containers will be provided.
- Butts & Ribs
i. The official turn in time for butts is 10:00 a.m. Saturday, October 19, 2019 at The ROB.
ii. The official turn in time for ribs is 11:00 a.m. Saturday, October 19, 2019 at The ROB.
iiii. Teams must be at their cook sites and prepared to serve their barbecue to the public at 11:30 a.m. through 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 19, 2019.
iv. Serving containers will be provided.
- Head Cooks’ Meeting will be held on Friday, October 19, 2019 at 3:00 p.m. at The ROB. Rules and relevant information will be given to the cooks. Representatives of the SC Barbeque Association and Rhythm & Q’s will be present to answer questions.
- Teams may not sell other food or beverages directly to the public.
- Teams may sell their own t-shirts, rubs, and/or sauces.
- Light breakfast will be available for teams at The ROB at 6:30 a.m. Saturday, October 19, 2019.
- Rhythm & Q’s and the Lake City Creative Alliance have the right to accept or reject any cook team’s application without explanation.
- The head cook will be responsible for the conduct of their team and guests.
- The judging on Saturday is sanctioned by the South Carolina Barbeque Association.
i. All rules and regulations for this organization will be followed.
- The Awards Ceremony will begin at approximately 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 19, 2019 on the Main Stage in the RV Park.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES CAN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BE SOLD OR GIVEN OUT BY TEAMS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC OR THEIR GUESTS. Team members are to be discreet in consuming any alcoholic beverages. The Head Cook will be held responsible for the conduct of their team and their guests. Failure to abide by these rules willresult in disqualification from the competition and event.
No Assignment or Transfer
In the event of a team withdrawing from the competition, their accepted entry (i.e., place in the competition) will not be transferred to another team.
Please do not hesitate to contact Rhythm & Q’s at firstname.lastname@example.org
for questions or concerns.